Drive Away 2Day

1950 Lancia B50 PF Cabriolet : Classic Cars

Vincenzo Lancia drove racing cars professionally for eight years before, in 1908, producing the first machine to bear his name. The performance heritage the innovative Italian brought to his cars became part of the automotive DNA of the Lancia vehicles that subsequently emanated from the firm's Turin (Torino) works in the decades that followed.

Lancia offered an impressive narrow-angle V-8 model in the early 1920s, but the marque is more widely remembered for the outstanding V-4-powered Lambda produced during that decade. A low-slung car with pioneering semi-unit body construction and independent front suspension, the nimble Lambda won Lancia new adherents throughout Europe and elsewhere.

In 1937, Vincenzo Lancia died, whereupon his son, Gianni, became the automaker's chief executive. Gianni continued to build cars exhibiting the spirited flair that had always set Lancia apart from the mundane. Although the Lancia family would relinquish control in 1955, the Italian automaker remained independent until 1969, when the Fiat organization absorbed Lancia into its operations.

The first post-WWII Lancia, introduced for 1950, was the Aurelia, designed by Gianni Lancia and the highly respected engineer Vittorio Jano, formerly of Alfa Romeo. In the Lancia tradition, the new Aurelia sparkled with innovation, yet was well conceived and solidly built.

A new overhead valve 1754cc V-6 engine, constructed with aluminum block and heads, powered the Aurelia. Its four-speed manual transmission, designed integrally with the rear axle, utilized a column-mounted gear change lever. The front suspension was Lancia's own sliding pillar type. Aurelia variants were produced until mid-1958, when the design was replaced by the Lancia Flamina.

The Aurelia B50 Pinin Farina Cabriolet debuted alongside the Aurelia B10 Berlina (sedan) at the 1950 Turin auto show. Although both Aurelias shared the B10 powertrain, the Cabriolet was built on a specially lengthened 114.6-inch wheelbase chassis of the type provided by Lancia to coachbuilders. Thus, the roomy four-passenger convertible was a bit larger overall than the regular production Berlina.

The Aurelia Pinin Farina Cabriolet was well received at the Turin show, leading Lancia to offer it as a special-order model. Each was hand-built by Pinin Farina, with finish and trim to individual order. Of a total of 265 are believed to have been built this is one of only a handful known to exist in its original Pinninfarina alloy bodywork. No two cars were finished exactly the same and all were built to order. Finished in a dark blue over terracotta colored interior with gray carpets and beige top. The car is matching numbers according to the previous owner who purchased the car in 2005 from Auto Classic in Turin, Italy. Prior, the car was owned by the same family for over 20 years. During that ownership it was restored, then sold as part of the estate in 2004/2005. This car is an example of an older restoration (approximately 18-20 years old) and was completed to a very high standard. While the car currently lacks appropriate documentation as to its owner/restoration history it is evident through thorough inspection that the car is very correct and has been well cared for. The car is currently up to date with new brakes, clutch, and transmission input shaft seal.

Cosmetically this car has seen a complete restoration, and has aged nicely to that of a 2- driver. The body is straight and corrosion free with those imperfections one would assume in a 20 year old paint job. There are a few blemishes here and there, but nothing of major concern. The chrome is all there with proper stampings and has recently been replated. All chrome inserts, emblems and original badges and bits are present. The wheel covers are in nice shape as well. The top appears to also be the same vintage as the restoration but is in no need of attention. All windows appear to be original and crack/fade free. The rubber molding is showing its age in spots and could use replacing if deemed necessary but ultimately can still be enjoyed the way it is. The interior cosmetics are consistent with the exterior; they show moderate use but are in good condition with plush leather both front and rear with exceptional fit and finish throughout. Dash is complete including the original Condor radio; everything is in good condition with very nice patina. The interior includes many original pieces including an ashtray behind the front bench. All interior bits work appropriately, all gauges work, windows go up and down etc. It is believed that the Aurelia V6 did receive a complete rebuild at time of restoration, as evident by its strong running condition. The undercarriage shows no issues and is very straight and correct.

Overall everything is in good order, appears to be up to date with nothing out of place, very nice floors and chassis rails with no issues. The car runs, drives, shifts and stops without any issues; all lights are in working order. Tires are still very usable and are free of any major rot. Overall this is a very rare opportunity to own a 1950 Lancia B50 Cabriolet in excellent driver quality condition. A comprehensive detail has been completed inside and out and underneath to ensure a turnkey opportunity for any collector.


Contact Lancia
Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | Google+

Contact Bonhams
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sources : 1950 Lancia B50 PF Cabriolet Photo | 1950 Lancia B50 PF Cabriolet Article

0 comments:

Post a Comment